11 Reasons to Get the Youth to Vote TuesdayOctober 30, 2010 16 Comments
1. The Millennial generation already makes up 1/5 of the electorate. By 2015, they will account for 1/3.
2. Compared to 2000, young voters have more than doubled their turnout in the 2008 primaries and caucuses. For example, in Texas, the number of 18-29 year old voters grew 301%.
3. In both the 2006 and the 2008 primaries, young voters made the difference in several tight races. Senator Obama owes his caucus win in Iowa to 18-29 year olds, and a winning margin among the youth vote helped Senator McCain win in California.
4. The 2008 presidential election was the first in decades where candidates actively and aggressively courted the youth vote. In the primaries, four candidates from both parties had full-time, national youth outreach directors.
5. Young Latinos are the largest, and fastest-growing ethnic subset of young adults; 50,000 young Latinos turn 18 each month, and Latinos make up 17% of the youth electorate.
6. In comparison to other people of color, young African-Americans voters are more likely to vote regularly, donate money to candidates, and display a campaign button or sign.
7. Since 2004, young women have led the turnout increase witnessed among young adults overall. In both 2004 and 2006, young women voted at rates seven and three points higher than young men.
8. The majority of young voters identify themselves as Democrat (47%), with 55% of young women classified as Democrats, compared to 38% of men.
9. Overall, 28% of young voters identify as Republicans, with 30% of young men categorizing themselves as Republican, compared to 26% of young women.
10. Republican identification is also highest among Caucasian youth, with 35% identifying as Republican.
11. Research shows that young voters with college experience are much more likely to vote than their non-college counterparts. Although ½ of young Americans ages 18-29 have never enrolled in college, 79% of the young voters on Super Tuesday attended college.
Remember to vote this Tuesday and please remind your friends to do the same.